Donor Bill of Rights
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and donors can have full confidence in The Arc of Montgomery County, we declare all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of The Arc of Montgomery County's mission, of the way we intend to use donated resources, and of our capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes;
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on The Arc of Montgomery County's governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities;
- To have access to The Arc of Montgomery County's most recent financial statements;
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given;
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition;
- To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law;
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing The Arc of Montgomery County will be professional in nature;
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of The Arc of Montgomery County, or hired solicitors; and
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
Donors interacting with The Arc of Montgomery County's web site or other electronic media have additional rights:
- To be clearly and immediately informed of The Arc of Montgomery County's name, identity, nonprofit status, mission and purpose when first accessing its website;
- To have easy and clear access to alternative contact information other than through the website or email;
- To be assured that all third-party logos, trademarks and other identifying, sponsoring, and/or endorsing symbols displayed on the website are accurate, justified, up-to-date, and clearly explained;
- To be informed of whether or not a contribution entitles the donor to a tax deduction, and of all limits on such deduction based on applicable laws;
- To be assured that all online transactions and contributions occur through a safe, private, and secure system that protects the donor's personal information;
- To be clearly informed if a contribution goes directly to The Arc of Montgomery County, or is held by or transferred through a third party;
- To be clearly informed of opportunities to opt out of data lists that are sold, shared, rented, or transferred to other organizations; and
- To not receive unsolicited communications or solicitations unless the donor has "opted in" to receive such materials.
The Arc of Montgomery County maintains administrative and technological procedures to adequately secure donor data. Membership in The Arc of Montgomery County entitles you to membership in The Arc of Maryland and The Arc of the United States, and members' essential contact information is shared with those organizations. Giving history and other financial information is never shared with The Arc of Maryland or The Arc of the United States. No information of any type is sold, shared, rented or transferred to any other organizations.
For more information, contact Resource Development, 301.984.5777 x1274.