Reuse • Repurpose • Recycle
Urban Thrift sells nearly-new and gently-used clothing, jewelry, linens, home furnishings, accessories, electronics, DVDs and more! Shoppers can browse for bargains and feel great about supporting a worthy cause, because all income from Urban Thrift supports The Arc Montgomery County's programs.
Monday-50% off for Seniors; Tuesday-25% off Accessories; Wednesday-25% off Furniture; Thursday-25% off Housewares; 25% off Clothing and Shoes EVERY day!
11 am-5 pm daily
Closed New Year's, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas days
10730 Connecticut Avenue, Kensington, MD 20895
All donations must be CLEAN, ODORLESS, GENTLY-USED, WORKING AND IN GOOD CONDITION and meet the guidelines below. Items which are not in clean, saleable condition will not be accepted. Please respect our neighbors and do not leave donations outside the building! All donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law and receipts are provided upon request.
Urban Thrift and The Arc Montgomery County reserve the right to decline any donations at any time, for any reason. If Urban Thrift experiences staffing shortages, exceeds its donation storage capacity or experiences an emergency situation, staff reserves the right to stop accepting donations until the situation is resolved.
Due to COVID-19, our donation policies have dramatically changed. Please read the instructions below carefully. We appreciate you complying with these policies during this challenging time!
Donations are accepted ONLY Monday-Friday from 12 pm until 4 pm until further notice. Items left outside without approval from an employee will be discarded.
Donors are required to wear a face mask and maintain a 6-feet distance from employees.
Only curbside donations are accepted. Employees will not unload cars. Bags and boxes cannot be provided to donors.
All donations must be in a CLOSED bag or box because they will be placed into temporary quarantine storage. Items not in a CLOSED bag or box may be refused. All furniture donations must be approved by an employee.
Until further notice, only toys in original packaging, almost-new stuffed animals, games, jigsaw puzzles, wooden toys, Legos/building blocks, Matchbox cars, dolls and vintage/antique toys will be accepted. Any other toy donation requires employee approval.
Items We Can Accept as of 6/1/2020
- Men's, Women's & Children's Clothing and Shoes - no rips, tears, stains broken zippers, missing buttons/closures, pet hair, odors, or mildew/mold
- Housewares, Kitchenware, Home Furnishings and Décor Pieces - nothing cracked, chipped, stained or broken
- Antiques, Collectibles and Vintage Items
- Jewelry & Watches
- Belts, Ties, Scarves, Hats, Gloves & Accessories
- Purses, Luggage & Backpacks
- Linens And Bolts of Fabric
- Stuffed Animals, Games, Jigsaw Puzzles, Wooden Toys, Legos/Building Blocks, and Matchbox Cars - in original packaging or practically new condition only
- Vintage/Antique Toys
- Office Supplies
- Sports Equipment - no golf clubs or golf bags
- Assistive Medical Devices - no crutches
- Small Electronics - lamps, clocks, radios, coffee makers, kitchen appliances, curling irons, etc. - see below for exceptions
- NEW larger electronics still in the box or unused
- Books, DVDs, CDs, Blu-Rays, Video Games & Media - no VHS or cassette tapes, encyclopedias, dictionaries or text books
- Furniture - must be approved by staff
Items WE CAN NOT Accept as of 6/1/2020
It's hard to say "no, thank you" to a donation, but we cannot accept the following items. Please dispose of these through an alternative responsible source, such as the Montgomery County Recycling Center.
- DIRTY, BROKEN, HEAVILY-USED, MILDEWED, NON-WORKING, DAMAGED & POOR CONDITION ITEMS
- Used Underwear, Socks, Stockings, Bras
- Food, Perishable Items & Personal Hygiene Products
- Plastic or Metal Clothes Hangers
- Toys - other than what is specifically listed above
- Large Appliances - stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, air conditioners, water heaters, etc.
- Building materials - carpets, rugs, shutters, windows, toilets, concrete, bricks, etc.
- Beds, Mattresses, Box Springs & Bed Pillows
- Upholstered Couches or Chairs which are torn, soiled or otherwise damaged - ALL FURNITURE MUST BE APPROVED BY STAFF
- Automobile parts - tires, wheels, batteries, seats, etc.
- Paint or Chemicals of any kind
- Kerosene and Gas Heaters, BBQ Grills, Hibachis, Fire Pits, etc.
- Frequently Recalled Items - infant furniture, car seats, exercise equipment, baby cribs, strollers, carriages, playpens, play yards, children's items containing lead or phthalates, etc.
- Televisions, Vacuum Cleaners, Computer Equipment and Cables, SD Card Readers, Printers, Fax Machines, Telephones, Scanners, Modems, CD Players, DVD Players, Blu-Ray Players, Stereo Equipment, etc.
For more information or to inquire about donations of furniture or other large items, contact Store Manager, 301.984.5777 x2252.