Reuse • Repurpose • Recycle
Urban Thrift sells nearly-new and gently-used clothing, jewelry, linens, home furnishings, accessories, electronics, DVDs, and more! Shoppers can browse for bargains and feel great about supporting a worthy cause because all income from Urban Thrift supports The Arc Montgomery County's programs.
Monday-40% off for Seniors; Tuesday-25% off Accessories; Wednesday-30% off purchases of $50 or more; Thursday-25% off Housewares; Friday- Sunday 25% off Clothing and Shoes.
11 am-6 pm Monday thru Saturday, 11 am- 5 pm Sunday
Closed New Year's, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas days
10730 Connecticut Avenue, Kensington, MD 20895
All donations must be CLEAN, ODORLESS, GENTLY-USED, WORKING AND IN GOOD CONDITION and meet the guidelines below. Items which are not in clean, saleable condition will not be accepted. Please respect our neighbors and do not leave donations outside the building! All donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law and receipts are provided upon request.
Urban Thrift and The Arc Montgomery County reserve the right to decline any donations at any time, for any reason. If Urban Thrift experiences staffing shortages, exceeds its donation storage capacity or experiences an emergency situation, staff reserves the right to stop accepting donations until the situation is resolved.
Urban Thrift is one of the most convenient places to donate your new and nearly new apparel and household items! So there is no confusion, please read the instructions below carefully.
Donations are ONLY accepted Fridays thru Mondays from 11 am until 3 pm. Items WILL NOT be accepted on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays. Items left outside when the store is closed or without approval from an employee will be discarded.
For customer convenience, curbside donations are accepted unless there is inclement weather, in which case donations will need to be brought into the store and a staff member will provide directions.
All donations MUST be in closed bags or boxes. Unfortunately, bags and boxes cannot be provided to donors.
Items not contained in a CLOSED bag or box may be refused. All furniture donations must be approved by an employee.
Donation receipts can be provided upon request. Donors will need to come into the store and are still required to wear a face mask.
Items We Can Accept as of 1/1/2023
- Men's, Women's & Children's Clothing and Shoes - must be washed, cleaned, odor-free, and folded in bags or boxes. No rips, tears, stains broken zippers, missing buttons/closures, pet hair, odors, or mildew/mold
- Housewares, Kitchenware, Home Furnishings and Décor Pieces - must be clean, and in good resellable condition. Nothing cracked, chipped, stained or broken
- Antiques, Collectibles and Vintage Items
- Jewelry & Watches
- Belts, Ties, Scarves, Hats, Gloves & Accessories
- Purses, Luggage & Backpacks
- Linens And Bolts of Fabric
- Stuffed Animals, Games, Jigsaw Puzzles, Wooden Toys, Legos/Building Blocks, and Matchbox Cars - in original packaging or practically new condition only
- Toys new and in original packaging only
- Vintage/Antique Toys
- Office Supplies
- Sports Equipment - no golf clubs or golf bags
- Assistive Medical Devices - no crutches
- Small Electronics - lamps, clocks, radios, coffee makers, kitchen appliances, curling irons, etc. - see below for exceptions
- NEW larger electronics still in the box or unused
- Books, DVDs, CDs, Blu-Rays, Video Games & Media - no VHS or cassette tapes, encyclopedias, dictionaries or text books
Items WE CAN NOT Accept as of 1/1/2023
It's hard to say "no, thank you" to a donation, but we cannot accept the following items. Please dispose of these through an alternative responsible source, such as the Montgomery County Recycling Center.
- DIRTY, BROKEN, HEAVILY-USED, MILDEWED, NON-WORKING, DAMAGED & POOR CONDITION ITEMS
- Used Underwear, Socks, Stockings, Bras
- Food, Perishable Items & Personal Hygiene Products
- Plastic or Metal Clothes Hangers
- Toys - other than what is specifically listed above
- Large Appliances - stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, air conditioners, water heaters, etc.
- Building materials - carpets, rugs, shutters, windows, toilets, concrete, bricks, etc.
- Beds, Mattresses, Box Springs & Bed Pillows
- Upholstered Couches or Chairs which are torn, soiled or otherwise damaged. Furniture — We are currently not accepting any furniture, especially large items and items which are torn, soiled or otherwise damaged - if you have any questions please contact the store
- Automobile parts - tires, wheels, batteries, seats, etc.
- Paint or Chemicals of any kind
- Kerosene and Gas Heaters, BBQ Grills, Hibachis, Fire Pits, etc.
- Frequently Recalled Items - infant furniture, car seats, exercise equipment, baby cribs, strollers, carriages, playpens, play yards, children's items containing lead or phthalates, etc.
- Televisions, Vacuum Cleaners, Computer Equipment and Cables, SD Card Readers, Printers, Fax Machines, Telephones, Scanners, Modems, CD Players, DVD Players, Blu-Ray Players, Stereo Equipment, etc.
For more information or to inquire about donations of furniture or other large items, contact Store Manager, 301.984.5777 x2252.