Reuse • Repurpose • Recycle
Donations are accepted Thursday through Sunday only, during regular business hours. Please review the policies below to ensure your donation meets our criteria.
Urban Thrift sells nearly-new and gently-used clothing, jewelry, linens, home furnishings, accessories, electronics, DVDs and more! Shoppers can browse for bargains and feel great about supporting a worthy cause, because all income from Urban Thrift supports The Arc Montgomery County's programs.
Monday-50% off for Seniors; Tuesday-25% off Accessories; Wednesday-25% off Furniture; Thursday-25% off Housewares; 25% off Clothing and Shoes EVERY day!
Monday-Friday, 11 am-6 pm; Saturday, 10 am-7 pm; Sunday 12-4 pm
Closed New Year's, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas days
10730 Connecticut Avenue, Kensington, MD 20895
Customers can drop CLEAN, ODORLESS, GENTLY-USED, WORKING AND IN GOOD CONDITION donations which meet our guidelines from Thursday through Sunday only, during regular business hours. Items which are not in clean, saleable condition will not be accepted. Please respect our neighbors and do not leave donations outside the building! All donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law and receipts are provided upon request.
Urban Thrift and The Arc Montgomery County reserve the right to decline any donations at any time, for any reason. If Urban Thrift experiences staffing shortages, exceeds its donation storage capacity or experiences an emergency situation, staff reserves the right to stop accepting donations until the situation is resolved.
2019 Donation Policies
- Donations are only accepted Thursday through Sunday–during store business hours!
- ALL donations must be contained in bags or boxes. Bags must be tied and not torn; boxes must be closed. Urban Thrift does not supply donors with containers for donations.
- All donations must be brought into the store. Please do not leave donations outside the store during or after store business hours. Items left outside will be considered trash and disposed of accordingly.
- All donations MUST be clean, odorless and in nearly new or gently used condition and sellable to our customer base. Items must be: free of stains, tears, rips; in complete working condition; contain all parts and pieces; not damaged, broken or otherwise impaired in any way.
- All donations must be on our current list of accepted items (below).
- All donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law and receipts are provided upon request.
Items We Can Accept as of 1/1/2019
- Men's, Women's & Children's Clothing and Shoes - no rips, tears, stains broken zippers, missing buttons/closures, pet hair, odors, or mildew/mold
- Housewares, Kitchenware, Home Furnishings and Décor Pieces - nothing cracked, chipped, stained or broken
- Antiques, Collectibles and Vintage Items
- Jewelry & Watches
- Belts, Ties, Scarves, Hats, Gloves & Accessories
- Purses, Luggage & Backpacks
- Linens And Bolts of Fabric
- Stuffed Animals, Toys and Games
- Office Supplies
- Sports Equipment - no golf clubs or golf bags
- Assistive Medical Devices - no crutches
- Small Electronics - lamps, clocks, radios, coffee makers, kitchen appliances, curling irons, etc. - see below for exceptions
- NEW larger electronics still in the box or unused
- Books, DVDs, CDs, Blu-Rays, Video Games & Media - no VHS or cassette tapes, encyclopedias, dictionaries or text books
- Furniture - must be approved by staff
Items WE CAN NOT Accept as of 1/1/2019
It's hard to say "no, thank you" to a donation, but we cannot accept the following items. Please dispose of these through an alternative responsible source, such as the Montgomery County Recycling Center.
- DIRTY, BROKEN, HEAVILY-USED, MILDEWED, NON-WORKING, DAMAGED & POOR CONDITION ITEMS
- Used Underwear, Socks, Stockings, Bras
- Food, Perishable Items & Personal Hygiene Products
- Plastic or Metal Clothes Hangers
- Large Appliances - stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, air conditioners, water heaters, etc.
- Building materials - carpets, rugs, shutters, windows, toilets, concrete, bricks, etc.
- Beds, Mattresses, Box Springs & Bed Pillows
- Upholstered Couches or Chairs which are torn, soiled or otherwise damaged - ALL FURNITURE MUST BE APPROVED BY STAFF
- Automobile parts - tires, wheels, batteries, seats, etc.
- Paint or Chemicals of any kind
- Kerosene and Gas Heaters, BBQ Grills, Hibachis, Fire Pits, etc.
- Frequently Recalled Items - infant furniture, car seats, exercise equipment, baby cribs, strollers, carriages, playpens, play yards, children's items containing lead or phthalates, etc.
- Televisions, Vacuum Cleaners, Computer Equipment and Cables, SD Card Readers, Printers, Fax Machines, Telephones, Scanners, Modems, CD Players, DVD Players, Blu-Ray Players, Stereo Equipment, etc.
For more information or to inquire about donations of furniture or other large items, contact Store Manager, 301.984.5777 x2252.