Skip to main content

For Adults

Community Living Services

Personal Supports

Depending on each person's needs, maximizing life skills while promoting community inclusion may require different levels of support. Customized, in-home and person-centered support makes it possible for adults with disabilities to live independently or to remain in their family's home. As one member of a team of providers, The Arc's staff can coordinate with schools, employers, and other program providers to encourage a positive experience providing maximum benefit to the individual.  The intensity of services provided may range from drop-in support of a few hours to hands-on supervision for several hours each week and may include:

  • Community Connections (links to community resources)
  • Independent Living (personal/health care, cooking, shopping)
  • Finances (budgeting, banking)
  • Social/Recreational Activities (leisure, entertainment, religious and cultural activities)
  • Medical (appointments, benefits coordination)

Community Living Services

Full residential services focused on individualized support can be provided to adults with disabilities at one of 35 single-family homes, townhomes or condos owned or operated by The Arc Montgomery County. Regardless of the setting, every person enjoys a private bedroom. Support services may include personal care, medication administration, use of community services, meal preparation, recreation, financial management, and health care coordination. A continuum of services can be provided from early adulthood through senior years, and annual team meetings with staff, relatives, friends, and other service providers are an avenue for setting goals and evaluating outcomes.

During weekdays, all participants must be involved in education, work, volunteer service, or senior living activities in the community. Evening and weekend activities are based on person's interests and typically include fitness and exercise, dining out, shopping, volunteer work, music and art activities, movies, and parties or holiday celebrations.

Additional Information

  • Person must reside in Montgomery County
  • Person must apply to the Maryland Developmental Disabilities Administration for eligibility and funding approval.

For more information, contact Kari Borgealt, Director of Inclusive Living Services, 301.984.5777 x1230.